A guide to watching the Sabres September 24, 2010Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Henrik Tallinder, Jordan Leopold, Mike Grier, Nathan Gerbe, Opinions, Rob Niedermeyer, Sabres, Shaone Morrisonn, Steve Montador, Tyler Ennis, Tyler Myers
Since there’s a lot of new personnel, and a new season starting, and there’s also the possibility that you’re a new fan (gasp!) I thought I would provide this handy guide to how to watch Sabres hockey this season. Without further ado…
- Get the largest TV you can. Life-sized Sabres are awesome.
- Gather snacks. Hockey games can last up to three hours, and I don’t know about you, but I work up an appetite cheering on my favorite team.
- Put on your comfy clothes. Jumping off the couch after a great goal is much harder when your waistband is cutting into your gut.
- Tell everyone around you to leave you alone. Until June. At least.
- Secure something soft that you can throw at the television if a player/the team/the ref does something stupid. After all, you don’t want to hurt that nice, big TV, right?
Now that your preliminary prep work is done, here’s what you need to know about the personnel:
- That big guy on the blue line? No, not Tyler Myers – you know him, silly! The other guy. His name is Shaone Morrisonn. Yes, I realize there are a few too many letters in his name. Take it up with his parents. Anyhoo, here’s the skinny on him: he’s large, he’s a stay-at-home defenseman, and he doesn’t seem to mind dropping the gloves. Any questions? Didn’t think so.
- That smaller guy on the blue line? That’s Jordan Leopold. Let’s call him Hank, part deux. He’s more of an offensive defenseman than Morrisonn. I’ve heard he’ll play with Montador. He doesn’t have Hank’s size, but that’s ok. He’s a good skater, has a good shot, and seems to be capable of carrying the puck up ice. (Yay!) He will almost definitely see time on the power play.
- The old guy on the third line? That’s Rob Niedermeyer. No, not Scott. Rob, his brother. Rob’s a forward. Yes, I know it’s confusing because Scott was a defenseman, but Rob is a forward. And a pretty decent one at that. I know I shouldn’t be calling him an old guy since he’s two years younger than me, but hey, he looks way older than me, so HA! He’s a grinder, a wily veteran, a guy in the sunset of his career. Sound familiar? See Grier, Mike.
I think you’ve seen all the other guys at least once, but here are a few refreshers: if you notice just the top of a helmet skate by, that’s Nathan Gerbe. If a player turns to the side and disappears, that’s probably Tyler Ennis. The rest of the cast of characters should be well-known to most of you, but if not, hey, check out the handy-dandy Media Guide. But remember, everyone has a bad hair day every now and then, and apparently the entire team had one on picture-taking day. Don’t judge them.