Sabres vs Maple Leafs 9/25/10 Postmortem September 25, 2010Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Andrej Sekera, Chris Butler, Cody McCormick, Derek Roy, Drew Schiestel, Drew Stafford, Jason Pominville, Jonas Enroth, Luke Adam, Nathan Gerbe, Opinions, Paul Gaustad, Postmortems, Rob Niedermeyer, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Shaone Morrisonn, Tim Connolly, Tyler Ennis, Tyler Myers, Zack Kassian
Well, I only saw pieces of this game on a tiny screen on my PC, so this is going to be a disjointed post. I was going to watch the NHL Network broadcast that was supposed to run at 11pm tonight, but it appears that it’s blacked out, so you can blame all the dummies who won’t let us watch preseason games for my inability to entertain and inform you with my hard-hitting analysis. Moving on…
- Yes, the Leafs did not field their “A” team. Yes, the Sabres put a lot of their top guys out. Yes, the Leafs were playing their 6,397,294th game in the past two days, and this was the first Sabres preseason game, BUT the Sabres looked like the MUCH stronger team in general. They controlled play throughout the entire game from what I could see.
- This new dude for Toronto – Kadri? Yeah, him. Didn’t look very impressive to me. I thought he was supposed to be the next coming of [INSERT SOME GOOD MAPLE LEAFS CENTER HERE]. Perhaps he needs a little more seasoning. I’d suggest rosemary. It’s delicious.
- Hey, uh, Pominville – I thought I heard you spent a lot of the summer taking shots. Were they AT THE NET? Eesh.
- Stafford looked like a beast. Lets keep that up for a full season and we’ll talk.
- I love Gerbe, but I hope to hell his mouth doesn’t write a check that his pint-sized body can’t cash. I mean, I know Gaustad and McCormick and Morrisonn et al will have his back, but geez, he’s a little punk.
- I liked what I saw of Kassian, but I need to see more.
- I thought Sekera played a good game. I didn’t notice Schiestel or Adam much. I saw Butler make a couple of good plays.
- Miller was in mid-season form. Enroth played well too.
- Roy had a very good game. Way to dive for that poke check to bail out your defense. That’s showing leadership when wearing the “C”. Good job.
- Vanek and his “I hate myself and everything around me” attitude are back. Let’s hope that translates into forty goals.
- Did Connolly play tonight? Yeah, he did. I heard he made a good play. I didn’t see it, so I can’t confirm the sighting.
- Didn’t see enough of Morrisonn to form an opinion, but a pairing of Morrisonn and Myers does seem beast-like to me…
- Poor Goose got hurt in his very first game. Kind of like Poz! At least Goose was able to come back and finish the game, unlike Poz…
- Niedermeyer’s goal looked nice, but it looked like Kassian made the play more than he did. Other than that I really didn’t notice him, so I’ll reserve judgment on him too.
- Ennis’s game picked up as time wore on. He’s a scrappy kid, I’ll give him credit for that. I’m curious about what he can do if he makes the team. I’d like to see him add about twenty pounds to his frame. I could beat that kid up.
- I agree with Mike Harrington that CodyMcCormick is an upgrade from Adam Mair. He had a decent game tonight.
Did I miss anyone? Wow, that wasn’t bad considering how much of the game I actually saw! I’m still mad that NHLN blacked out the game. Curses!
PS: I know I didn’t insert a Maple Leafs center. That’s how little I care about their team.