Sabres vs. Flyers Game 2 4/16/11 Postmortem April 16, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Sabres, Opinions, Thomas Vanek, Paul Gaustad, Ryan Miller, Andrej Sekera, penalties, Postmortems, Playoffs, Cody McCormick, Rob Niedermayer
add a comment
I would love to see the Sabres win Game 2 but I fully expect the Flyers to come out, well, flying.
- Sekera just stripped the puck from Carcillo in a ruthlessly efficient play. Heh.
- The Sabres strike back with Vanek.
- Then Paul Gaustad puts Briere on the ground during the ensuing faceoff. Scott Hartnell challenges him to a fight, but I’m not sure you can call what happened next a “fight”. It was more like “Gaustad makes Hartnell look silly.”
- Where was this Niedermayer all season long?
- Yay! Vanek scores again. I think he’s got a sense of Brobowski now (someone asked Vanek if he had a “sense of Brobowski” after the first game – Bulldog mentioned that Vanek probably got a sense of him during the four regular season games in which they faced him).
- Sekera puts Buffalo ahead for the first time in the game. Bobrowski’s night is over. Amanda approves.
- Hartnell takes another stupid penalty.
- Man, Vanek really wants a hat trick…
- McCormick brings the Sabres to within one.
- The building erupts as the Flyers score first.
- Shortly after the Gaustad fight the Sabres have a brain freeze in their end and Carcillo *blech* scores.
- Philly’s penalty box is getting mighty crowded. Amanda approves.
- Oh, Miller. Seriously?
- Gerbe gets an extra two minutes for humiliating Giroux.
- The penalties are just getting out of control now. I think the refs are making stuff up.
- The puck deflects off Briere’s skate and goes in. Boooo.
- Well, I would’ve made more comments on the second period, but DD decided to be needy. ED NOTE: This needy behavior continues into the third.
I didn’t really expect the Sabres to win this game, but it sure would’ve been nice. On to Game 3.
Sabres vs. Canadiens 3/22/11 Postmortem March 22, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Sabres, Opinions, Thomas Vanek, Nathan Gerbe, Paul Gaustad, Mike Grier, Ryan Miller, Andrej Sekera, Tyler Myers, Postmortems, Cody McCormick, Rob Niedermayer, Brad Boyes
All right. I was gone earlier tonight and so I’m starting this blog from the beginning of the second period. These are points Buffalo desperately needs – hopefully they’ll what they have to do.
- The little guy is playing at twice his size and about four times the heart of some of his teammates. Gerbe gets another one off of a nice point shot. Drew a great penalty a bit earlier too.
- Vanek had the puck behind the Canadiens’ net. No one touched him for about twenty seconds. For some reason I find this hilarious.
- Holy cow, but was Boyes ever hard to take off that puck…
- Sekera is dominant so far.
- The fourth line of Niedermayer, Grier and McCormick kept the Canadiens pinned in their end for quite a while. Amanda approves.
- The Sabres are playing a pretty stifling defensive system tonight.
- You know, if Tyler Myers was bearing down on me with a head of steam, I’m moving out of his way.
- Vanek makes a nice play to keep the puck in on the power play.
- Miller is in the zone tonight. Amanda approves of this too.
- Brad Boyes has had a strong game away from the puck tonight.
- Gerbe, Gerbe, Gerbe… look at ‘im go!
- I don’t think Vanek has a complaint about the goaltender interference call. He ran Price over.
- The power play looks brutal. Oy.
- Carey Price needs to say a prayer to the hockey gods that the puck didn’t go in when it dribbled right through the crease.
Final score: Nathan Gerbe 2, Canadiens 0
Sabres vs. Hurricanes 3/15/11 Postmortem March 15, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Andrej Sekera, Marc Mancari, Opinions, Paul Gaustad, penalties, Postmortems, Sabres, Steve Montador, Tyler Ennis
Terry Pegula is putting a further stamp on his team – he’s added speakers to the 300 level, a new goal song, rally towels… Sabres fans are falling fast and hard for this man.
- WHAT a move by Tyler Ennis. Wow. Didn’t score, but still. Wow.
- Good kill. Sekera is really stepping up his game.
- I watched Montador covering Skinner and all I could think of was “Old age and treachery overcome youth and skill!”
- If they keep taking 22 shots a period on Cam Ward, they WILL score. I guess they should take comfort in that.
- The Versus guys just mentioned there hasn’t been much anger/animosity in this game. Thank you, Captains Obvious.
- Marc Mancari negates an icing by winning the foot race. Nice.
- And Gaustad gets called for hooking AGAIN. I’d like to see how many hooking penalties he’s taken this year.
- Well, that’s a backbreaker in the last minute of the period. Poo.
- Not much in that power play, guys. Need to do better than that.
- Penalty trouble will kill you every time.
RIP Rick Martin. I never saw him play in person but the video I’ve seen looked amazing.
Final score: Buffalo 0 Carolina 1
Ugh. That’s not gonna help the playoff standings.
Sabres vs. Lightning 2/8/11 Postmortem February 9, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Andrej Sekera, Chris Butler, Drew Stafford, Jochen Hecht, Jordan Leopold, Mike Weber, Nathan Gerbe, Opinions, Postmortems, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Shaone Morrisonn, Steve Montador, Tim Connolly, Tyler Ennis, Tyler Myers
Full disclosure: I’m watching this game starting at almost midnight. I know the final score, but that’s how dedicated I am to you, my readers…
- Nice save by Miller on Stamkos. The Sabres need to stop letting the Lightning march into their zone, though.
- Wait, wait, wait. It looks like Tim Connolly cares tonight!
- Hel-looo Steve Yzerman…
- Oh, Jordan Leopold. How I love you… goes into that offensive zone with authority!
- Yep, Leopold is having a very good game so far…
- Wow, Myers just made Lecavalier look small.
- Great play by Weber! He finds Vanek, and Vanek, as usual, puts it home.
- Huh. I think Morrisonn just told Weber not to fight. And Weber listened.
- And the bodies are flying!
- Jordan Leopold continues his great play. What a tying goal!
- I love it when the Sabres are full of piss n’ vinegar!
- Uh-oh, they’ve angered the German!
- I have a feeling Tyler Myers would win a footrace with Martin St. Louis.
- WHAT A PASS, Tyler Ennis. Tim Connolly owes you a steak dinner.
- Um, are the Lightning unfamiliar with Vanek? After all the goals he’s scored against them?
- Oh, now this is just getting silly. Staffy scores another one…
- Aaaannndddd yet another one. Go Staffy!
- I like Chris Butler, but get well soon, Steve Montador!
- Note to opponents: how many times do I have to tell you not to hit Tyler Ennis? It will end badly for you!
- Well, Stafford gives away the puck and Miller lets in one he probably should’ve had. Alrighty then.
- Oh, Tyler Myers. You bad boy! Sit in box and feel shame!
- Heh. Smaby took one in the cup.
- Whoa, Sekera was beaten badly on that play…
- Memo to Nathan Gerbe: punching to the head is a penalty. Tonight, at least.
- Memo to other Sabres players: Nathan Gerbe is only ‘ittle. Don’t hurt him.
- I hope you’re all right, Ryan Malone. In other news, ice is slippery.
- This was not Sekera’s finest game. And that’s okay.
- Stafford was pushed into Roloson.
- Man, that’s a full penalty box, boys… good thing it didn’t come back to bite you.
Sabres are off to Miami. Maybe they’ll see Michael Westen there. If they do, and they could throw him into a duffel bag for me that would be great! See you Thursday! Final score: 7-4 Sabres! Woo!
Sabres vs. Flyers 1/11/11 Postmortem January 11, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Andrej Sekera, Cody McCormick, Derek Roy, Jochen Hecht, Luke Adam, Nathan Gerbe, Opinions, Paul Gaustad, penalties, Postmortems, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Tyler Ennis
It’s just wrong to have RJ back and yet have the game televised on Versus.
- I was happy to hear Roy showed up at the arena yesterday, but walking with a cane? Oy. I know why – that was some pretty serious surgery that he had, but still… to see a hockey player using a cane…
- Woo! Paul Gaustad actually earned his keep!
- Shots are 11-3 Buffalo eights minutes in. Amanda approves.
- And whodathunkit that the Gaustad line would be the one leading the offensive charge? Yay Cody McCormick!
- That’s a brave woman, going into the bench for an interview during play.
- Dude – what a play by Sekera. Coast-to-coast, but the Sabres couldn’t capitalize. Too bad.
- I think this is Gaustad’s best game so far this year.
- According to Sabres PR, Cody McCormick has eight shots so far in this game. The Sabres franchise record for shots by one player? Twelve.
- As per the illustrious Mike Harrington, I know that Luke Adam is scratched in favor of Nathan Gerbe. A curious choice, but I wonder if Gerbe’s been told to fish or cut bait…
- Ok, if they’re calling a penalty on Mike Weber I totally didn’t see it. Looked like a good hip check to me.
- Booooo. And the Flyers score on the power play. Amanda does not approve.
- Is Ennis afraid of the interviewer? He won’t look her in the eye.
- Ah, the mystery behind Adam being scratched has been solved. He has the flu.
- Halfway through the game and Jochen Hecht is at a 20% win rate for faceoffs.
- Good traffic and movement on the power play but no results.
- Oh, Ennis, you silly boy. Gotta watch those diving penalties.
- That was not a good goal.
- Apparently it’s okay to maul the opposition, guys. Just so you know.
- Wha? Where was Ryan Miller on that goal? He looked like a deer caught in headlights.
Final score 5-2. Five unanswered goals. Way to not win three in a row, boys!