Sabres vs. Devils 3/26/11 Postmortem March 26, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Henrik Tallinder, Nathan Gerbe, Opinions, Postmortems, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Thomas Vanek, Tyler Myers
add a comment
Well, I tried to blog the game last night but my DD (dear daughter) had other plans. Let’s hope she behaves better tonight.
- Wow – what a play be Gerbe. There’s a kid who never gives up on a play.
- The Sabres are all over the Devils here in the first period.
- Hee hee hee – with around six minutes left in the first shots are 11-3 Sabres.
- And the monkey has left the building. Oh, and Vanek scored. It appeared to be a set play from a faceoff.
- Hee hee hee, part 2 – after the first period Kovalchuk is a -2 with no shots on goal.
- Ryan Miller doesn’t look tired right now…
- I’m surprised Henrik Tallinder went to the correct penalty box.
- The score doesn’t show it but the Sabres overall are dominating.
- Tyler Myers just had to dive onto the bench to prevent a “too many men” penalty.
- Brodeur appears to want to know WTH happened to his team.
- So the ref decided to call a penalty. It appeared totally arbitrary. The Sabres stood tall on the penalty kill though.
- The power play doesn’t look so good.
- Whoa – Clarkson takes a run at Gerbe. Pick on someone your own size.
An excellent weekend. Winning the games they need to win – Amanda approves.
Final score: Buffalo 2, New Jersey 0
Sabres vs. Canadiens 3/22/11 Postmortem March 22, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Andrej Sekera, Brad Boyes, Cody McCormick, Mike Grier, Nathan Gerbe, Opinions, Paul Gaustad, Postmortems, Rob Niedermayer, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Thomas Vanek, Tyler Myers
All right. I was gone earlier tonight and so I’m starting this blog from the beginning of the second period. These are points Buffalo desperately needs – hopefully they’ll what they have to do.
- The little guy is playing at twice his size and about four times the heart of some of his teammates. Gerbe gets another one off of a nice point shot. Drew a great penalty a bit earlier too.
- Vanek had the puck behind the Canadiens’ net. No one touched him for about twenty seconds. For some reason I find this hilarious.
- Holy cow, but was Boyes ever hard to take off that puck…
- Sekera is dominant so far.
- The fourth line of Niedermayer, Grier and McCormick kept the Canadiens pinned in their end for quite a while. Amanda approves.
- The Sabres are playing a pretty stifling defensive system tonight.
- You know, if Tyler Myers was bearing down on me with a head of steam, I’m moving out of his way.
- Vanek makes a nice play to keep the puck in on the power play.
- Miller is in the zone tonight. Amanda approves of this too.
- Brad Boyes has had a strong game away from the puck tonight.
- Gerbe, Gerbe, Gerbe… look at ‘im go!
- I don’t think Vanek has a complaint about the goaltender interference call. He ran Price over.
- The power play looks brutal. Oy.
- Carey Price needs to say a prayer to the hockey gods that the puck didn’t go in when it dribbled right through the crease.
Final score: Nathan Gerbe 2, Canadiens 0
The Epic Collapse: my thoughts March 21, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Drew Stafford, Opinions, Sabres, Tim Connolly
I was at the game on Sunday night against Nashville and got to watch my team blow a two-goal lead in the final four minutes before ultimately losing the game in overtime. I’m not sure how I feel about this. I’m not terribly pleased that I spent money to go to a game where the team fell apart like three-hundred year-old lace. And looked just about as fragile as lace at times.
However, I’m happy they salvaged a point out of that mess. I’m happy certain players had good games, including the much-maligned Tim Connolly (yes I’ll admit he had a good game).
So how do I feel overall? I feel like they need to stop blowing two-goal leads. I feel like Drew Stafford needn’t have bothered putting on his jersey. I feel like they still have an excellent chance at making the playoffs. And I’m pleased that they’re not pleased.
Clear as mud, eh? On to Montreal on Tuesday…
Sabres vs. Thrashers 3/19/11 Postmortem March 19, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Brad Boyes, Chris Butler, Cody McCormick, Jason Pominville, Jordan Leopold, Marc Mancari, Nathan Gerbe, Opinions, penalties, Pommerdoodle, Postmortems, Rob Niedermayer, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Tim Connolly, Tyler Ennis
Twelve games remaining and we’re tied with Carolina. Now you’re up to date. On to the show:
- The Sabres start VERY quickly and Pominville pots one about a minute into the game after a beauty of a pass by Connolly.
- So far the Sabres are all over the Thrashers. Let’s hope that continues.
- Miller stopped the penalty shot after the Sabres take what I thought was a weak hooking call.
- Mancari redirects a Myers point shot for his first goal this year. Enthusiastic celebration!
- Pominville is having a HUGE period. Amanda approves.
- A beautiful spin-o-rama by Gerbe.
- Chris Butler gets his first of the year. Yep, “The butler did it!”. NOTE: they changed the goal to Niedermayer, so the butler is innocent. And scoreless.
- Was finally paying attention enough to hear the goal song after Butler’s goal. I like it. I like it a lot!
- After one period, the Sabres have a 15-6 edge in faceoffs. Brad Boyes and Paul Gaustad are both at 100% and no regular center is below 60%.
- Pominville takes a hit AND keeps the puck. Hee hee hee.
- Miller makes a great save to keep the Sabres in the lead. Yay!
- I totally remember Rob Ray scoring that goal in the 98-99 playoffs. And little Stuey guy – awww!
- Gerbe refuses to be denied. On the fifth try he puts it in.
- Ennis gets a pretty clear breakaway. That goal’s gonna be on Sportscenter.
- If Vanek keeps shooting one will go in. Keep the faith, Van.
- Nice play to break up a good offensive chance, Butler.
- Excellent job on the PSA, Cody McCormick.
- Wow! Boyes just moved quick like a bunny! It’s 6-2 Buffalo. I hope they save some goals for tomorrow when I’ll be at the game.
- Niedermayer gets his second of the night. What is going ON?
- ANNNNDDDD Connolly scores as I was typing the above. Alrighty then.
- Whoa. I didn’t even see what happened, but it’s tied.
- Ennis is cut and blood drips out of somewhere. Blech.
- Connolly hits the pipe as the 5-on-3 ends.
- Vanek is stopped on a breakaway. The d-man was whacking him on the wrists. But apparently THAT’S not a penalty. Good to know.
- I’m okay with using the goal horn, but is 15-20 seconds of it really necessary?
- Pretty disorganized power play here at the end of the first period.
- I do not approve of the bad angle goals, Ryan Miller.
- Hey guys – how about you DON’T let Byfuglien just walk on into your d-zone without anyone so much as sneezing on him?
- Vanek’s getting pretty frustrated. He takes bad penalties when he does that.
- If Thorburn hurts my Pommerdoodle I’m going to be very upset!
Congrats to Ryan Miller on six straight seasons with 30 wins or more. Final score: Sabres 8 Thrashers 2
I’ll be at the game tomorrow night. See you then!
Sabres vs. Hurricanes 3/15/11 Postmortem March 15, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Andrej Sekera, Marc Mancari, Opinions, Paul Gaustad, penalties, Postmortems, Sabres, Steve Montador, Tyler Ennis
Terry Pegula is putting a further stamp on his team – he’s added speakers to the 300 level, a new goal song, rally towels… Sabres fans are falling fast and hard for this man.
- WHAT a move by Tyler Ennis. Wow. Didn’t score, but still. Wow.
- Good kill. Sekera is really stepping up his game.
- I watched Montador covering Skinner and all I could think of was “Old age and treachery overcome youth and skill!”
- If they keep taking 22 shots a period on Cam Ward, they WILL score. I guess they should take comfort in that.
- The Versus guys just mentioned there hasn’t been much anger/animosity in this game. Thank you, Captains Obvious.
- Marc Mancari negates an icing by winning the foot race. Nice.
- And Gaustad gets called for hooking AGAIN. I’d like to see how many hooking penalties he’s taken this year.
- Well, that’s a backbreaker in the last minute of the period. Poo.
- Not much in that power play, guys. Need to do better than that.
- Penalty trouble will kill you every time.
RIP Rick Martin. I never saw him play in person but the video I’ve seen looked amazing.
Final score: Buffalo 0 Carolina 1
Ugh. That’s not gonna help the playoff standings.