Sabres vs. Canadiens 3/22/11 Postmortem March 22, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Andrej Sekera, Brad Boyes, Cody McCormick, Mike Grier, Nathan Gerbe, Opinions, Paul Gaustad, Postmortems, Rob Niedermayer, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Thomas Vanek, Tyler Myers
All right. I was gone earlier tonight and so I’m starting this blog from the beginning of the second period. These are points Buffalo desperately needs – hopefully they’ll what they have to do.
- The little guy is playing at twice his size and about four times the heart of some of his teammates. Gerbe gets another one off of a nice point shot. Drew a great penalty a bit earlier too.
- Vanek had the puck behind the Canadiens’ net. No one touched him for about twenty seconds. For some reason I find this hilarious.
- Holy cow, but was Boyes ever hard to take off that puck…
- Sekera is dominant so far.
- The fourth line of Niedermayer, Grier and McCormick kept the Canadiens pinned in their end for quite a while. Amanda approves.
- The Sabres are playing a pretty stifling defensive system tonight.
- You know, if Tyler Myers was bearing down on me with a head of steam, I’m moving out of his way.
- Vanek makes a nice play to keep the puck in on the power play.
- Miller is in the zone tonight. Amanda approves of this too.
- Brad Boyes has had a strong game away from the puck tonight.
- Gerbe, Gerbe, Gerbe… look at ‘im go!
- I don’t think Vanek has a complaint about the goaltender interference call. He ran Price over.
- The power play looks brutal. Oy.
- Carey Price needs to say a prayer to the hockey gods that the puck didn’t go in when it dribbled right through the crease.
Final score: Nathan Gerbe 2, Canadiens 0
Let’s spend Mr. Pegula’s money! February 24, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Craig Rivet, General nonsense, Jochen Hecht, Mike Grier, Opinions, Sabres
I’ve decided to go on a spending spree, people. What am I buying? PLAYERS. Glorious players! Mr. Pegula has said there are no financial constraints on the team, so I’m going to go shopping in the NHL Players Store and see if I can’t make the Sabres a better team.
BUY Zach Parise (+3,125,000)
SELL Mike Grier (-1,500,000)
BUY Brooks Laich (+2,066,667)
SELL Jochen Hecht (-3,525,000)
BUY Scott Hannan (+4,500,000)
SELL Craig Rivet (-3,500,000)
I won’t get greedy, so I’ll just make these moves now. What do you think? Feel free to tell me in the comments!
Sabres vs. Capitals 2/20/11 Postmortem February 20, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Lindy Ruff, Mike Grier, Opinions, Pommerdoodle, Postmortems, Ryan Miller, Sabres
A rare daytime game for the Sabres on national TV.
- Miller starting out strong so far.
- Strong penalty kills, which is good, because there have been a lot of them.
- Woo! Pominville puts a laser in on the power play. Yay! (Hey Caps, we only needed one power play to score – what’s your problem?)
- The sound of the skates slicing through the ice is very cool.
- Has anyone else noticed how short Grier’s shifts are?
- Sabres getting into penalty trouble against a team like the Caps doesn’t seem like a good strategy for winning.
- Don’t hurt our Pommerdoodle, Lindy!
- Wow, what a strange bounce. Miller had no chance on that.
- Why is Mike Grier taking up a roster spot? Seriously, why?
- With 14 minutes left in the game, the Sabres have allowed 35 shots.
This is not a good way to secure a playoff spot, boys. Sabres 1, Capitals 2.
Sabres vs. Canadiens 2/15/11 Postmortem February 15, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Drew Stafford, Jason Pominville, Jhonas Enroth, Jochen Hecht, Lindy Ruff, Mike Grier, Nathan Gerbe, Opinions, Patrick Lalime, Paul Gaustad, Postmortems, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Thomas Vanek, Tim Connolly, Tyler Myers
Enroth is in goal. Ryan Miller is taking a nap. Patrick Lalime is, well, apparently completely superfluous.
- A hit happened along the wall and hubs and I both said, “Who was THAT?” Turns out it was Nathan Gerbe. Alrighty then!
- I have to give Connolly credit for hangin’ out behind the Sabres’ net trying to let time run out in the first period before the whistle was blown to start the PP.
- Heh. And guess who scores? Staffy! By the way, when I saw that through-the-legs maneuver by Vanek I rolled my eyes. I’m not too proud to admit it. Nice job, Vanek!
- Somebody needs to buy Jhonas Enroth a steak dinner after this…
- Nice feed by Hecht to Pominville and he bangs one home.
- Good try on a give n go by Paul Byron. It didn’t work, ultimately, but it was a quality play.
- Wow. Smart play by Mike Grier to chip the puck out of the d-zone in the waning seconds of regulation.
- And JOCHEN is SMOKIN!
- Bad Tyler Myers! Bad!
- Memo to the Sabres: having a shooting gallery in front of your AHL goaltender is a bad idea.
- Pominville takes a penalty. Wow.
- Shots are 154 Montreal with seven minutes left in the first period. This is… poor, fellas.
- Cripey. The Sabres just can’t sustain any pressure at ALL.
- How ’bout some defense, guys?
- Sabres cannot buy a goal. Eesh.
- Weber gets a penalty with about a minute and a half left and Lindy Ruff has kittens.
Sabres vs. Leafs 2/5/11 Postmortem February 5, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Cody McCormick, Drew Stafford, Jason Pominville, Jochen Hecht, Jordan Leopold, Mike Grier, Nathan Gerbe, Opinions, Paul Gaustad, Postmortems, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Steve Montador, Thomas Vanek, Tim Connolly, Tyler Myers
1 comment so far
All right, guys. It’s do or die time.
- The Sabres come out with a little vinegar. Let’s hope that continues.
- Memo to Terry Pegula: sign Steve Montador. NOW.
- WHAT A PLAY by Vanek! Nice goal, Pominville!
- A good effort by Montador leads to a Buffalo power play and Stafford makes no mistake.
- Halfway through the first period shots are 12-5 in favor of Buffalo.
- You know, this team’s problem is not the defense.
- Grier makes a nice play in the defensive zone and then follows it up with a nifty pick that enables Gaustad to put one by Reimer.
- Miller makes a nice save on a partial breakaway by Kessel.
- Good patience shown by Connolly on the power play, and it’s 4-0 Buffalo.
- A little more than halfway through the game and takeaways are seven for the Sabres and two for the Leafs.
- Nice job, McCormick!
- Great play by Leopold to take the puck off Kessel’s stick and thwart another breakaway.
- And Drewwwww Stafford scores another one! Tonight he is “good Drew Stafford”.
- The Sabres chase Reimer out of the net after two periods. Yay!
- Rosehill tries to go to the net and McCormick says, “I think not. Why don’t you take a seat?”
- Rob Ray cracks me up. That is all.
- Vanek gets his own rebound for his 19th of the season.
- It hardly seems fair for Phaneuf to go after Gerbe. He’s got, what, 150 pounds on him?
- The Leafs get a power play. Yawn.
- Big mistake by Myers leads to a great scoring chance but Miller makes the save.
- The Sabres aren’t doing well on face-offs. Big surprise, I know.
- WHAT is it with the shorthanded goals, guys? Seriously!
- Note to the Sabres: punches to the face are NOT a penalty. If you’re unclear on this, ask Jason Pominville. You’ll know who he is by the black eye.
- Hecht gets a shorthanded breakaway! And does nothing with it!
And they win a game they should win. Yay! Final score: Sabres 6 Maple Leafs 2