Sabres vs. Flyers Game 4 4/20/11 Postmortem April 20, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Chris Butler, Drew Stafford, Jason Pominville, Jordan Leopold, Nathan Gerbe, Opinions, Pat Kaleta, Paul Gaustad, penalties, Playoffs, Postmortems, Rob Niedermayer, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Thomas Vanek, Tim Connolly, Tyler Ennis, Tyler Myers
1 comment so far
Do or die? I’d say so. Let’s get this thing started!
- Kaleta makes his presence felt in his first shift.
- The crowd sounds alive tonight.
- The Sabres are really buzzing in the first three minutes. Make that five minutes…
- I approve of Drew Stafford on the penalty kill.
- Butler saves his goaltender’s bacon. Miller owes him a steak.
- Pommer gets his first of the playoffs off a gorgeous pass from Niedermayer.
- The Sabres are on the power play because Carcillo is a stupid hockey player.
- Gerbe goes through three guys and still gets a shot off. Heh.
- Tyler Myers makes an all-star play to prevent a goal. Miller’s going to be doling out steaks to the D with the way things are going.
- Myers can’t BELIEVE he hit the post on that one, but Timonen takes a penalty hauling Grier down.
- Apparently Myers is okay from his collision in the first period. Thanks, hockey gods!
- Miller makes a big stop on Richards.
- The Sabres are on the Flyers like white on rice here in the first 10 minutes of the second period. The line of Gaustad, Kaleta, and Boyes is the Flyers’ worst nightmare right now.
- Vanek strips the puck quite neatly. hee hee hee
- Kaleta out-muscled a guy behind the Flyers net like he was an annoying little gnat.
- The Flyers take a too-many-men penalty in the waning moments of the second period. In obvious news, now would be a good time to take a two-goal lead.
- Richards gets five minutes for elbowing. Amanda approves.
- Weber gets called with a silly penalty. Borderline, but what can you do?
- Stafford negates the power play with a holding penalty. Again, dubious.
- Connolly lets his man go on the power play and the Flyers nearly score short-handed.
- Ennis doesn’t look right. Neither does Leopold.
- Boyes hits the second post of the period.
- Myers takes a knee-on-knee hit from Carter and goes down like the giant he is. The building shook.
- Wow. That was one of the worst five-minute power plays I’ve seen in my entire life.
On to game five!
Sabres vs. Lightning 4/5/11 Postmortem Guest Blog April 5, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Cody McCormick, Jason Pominville, Jhonas Enroth, Lindy Ruff, Mike Weber, Nathan Gerbe, Opinions, Postmortems, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Thomas Vanek, Tim Connolly, Tyler Ennis
add a comment
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa. I just have NOT had time or opportunity to blog lately. Luckily my mother is on the ball, and so, I bring you her guest commentary on tonight’s game.
After tonight, two more games and then it’s the play-offs! Let’s see if we can win these last three and go into the play-offs in high gear!
- Enroth in goal again– Miller is starting to skate but it might still be a while. Maybe, too, Lindy is giving him more time to rest for the playoffs since Enroth is wiping the ice with opponents.
- Sabres are all over the Lightning the first five minutes. By halfway mark, the Lightning are starting to wake up so careful guys!
- Congrats to Sabres sled hockey team who won the sled hockey championship this weekend.
- Fantastic save by Enroth! Great move by Weber. He’s improving every game!
- Two penalties by Tampa Bay—5 on 3. Let’s go boys. Yes! Goal by Pommer, there you go Amanda! Do you approve? (ED Note: I do approve!) Oops! Vanek tipped it. 1-1. Oh well…
- Second goal by Vanek for tonight! He’s hot! Just in time for the playoffs I hope. Now Timmy scores and it’s clear the whole line is hot tonight! 3-1. Timmy alone has a goal and two assists.
- Sabres handily neutralized the Lightning usually potent second period.
- The second intermission Whip guys gave their opinions as to best surprises of season: Gerbe, Weber, and Enroth. Don’t know if I agree with that completely. I think I’d put Ennis in there too. He made a great play sliding on his stomach to clear the puck. Nice play by Gerbe too.
- Vanek scores a hat trick on an open net to seal the victory! And the big-money players come through for the team tonight!
- EXTRA Bonus! Sabres win eliminates Toronto from playoffs. Wahoo!
- McCormick whiffed badly on a point-blank shot. Booo!
- Lightning score first—Malone tipped it in. Sabres just stood there. 0-1.
- In first period, Sabres have NO hits! TB has seven, Sabres moving and passing well though.
- Second period—yawn…… until Weber and Malone decide to liven things up with a marathon fight. Fifty seconds long, a draw methinks. Last half second livened up. Thank goodness.
- Sabres start the third period by giving up a goal by TB seconds into third period—Lecavalier. 3-2.
- Sabres laying back too much in third period. When they do that, they get burned! Already charred by early third period goal.
And there you have it, folks: my mother’s impressions of the game.
Sabres vs. Devils 3/26/11 Postmortem March 26, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Henrik Tallinder, Nathan Gerbe, Opinions, Postmortems, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Thomas Vanek, Tyler Myers
add a comment
Well, I tried to blog the game last night but my DD (dear daughter) had other plans. Let’s hope she behaves better tonight.
- Wow – what a play be Gerbe. There’s a kid who never gives up on a play.
- The Sabres are all over the Devils here in the first period.
- Hee hee hee – with around six minutes left in the first shots are 11-3 Sabres.
- And the monkey has left the building. Oh, and Vanek scored. It appeared to be a set play from a faceoff.
- Hee hee hee, part 2 – after the first period Kovalchuk is a -2 with no shots on goal.
- Ryan Miller doesn’t look tired right now…
- I’m surprised Henrik Tallinder went to the correct penalty box.
- The score doesn’t show it but the Sabres overall are dominating.
- Tyler Myers just had to dive onto the bench to prevent a “too many men” penalty.
- Brodeur appears to want to know WTH happened to his team.
- So the ref decided to call a penalty. It appeared totally arbitrary. The Sabres stood tall on the penalty kill though.
- The power play doesn’t look so good.
- Whoa – Clarkson takes a run at Gerbe. Pick on someone your own size.
An excellent weekend. Winning the games they need to win – Amanda approves.
Final score: Buffalo 2, New Jersey 0
Sabres vs. Canadiens 3/22/11 Postmortem March 22, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Andrej Sekera, Brad Boyes, Cody McCormick, Mike Grier, Nathan Gerbe, Opinions, Paul Gaustad, Postmortems, Rob Niedermayer, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Thomas Vanek, Tyler Myers
All right. I was gone earlier tonight and so I’m starting this blog from the beginning of the second period. These are points Buffalo desperately needs – hopefully they’ll what they have to do.
- The little guy is playing at twice his size and about four times the heart of some of his teammates. Gerbe gets another one off of a nice point shot. Drew a great penalty a bit earlier too.
- Vanek had the puck behind the Canadiens’ net. No one touched him for about twenty seconds. For some reason I find this hilarious.
- Holy cow, but was Boyes ever hard to take off that puck…
- Sekera is dominant so far.
- The fourth line of Niedermayer, Grier and McCormick kept the Canadiens pinned in their end for quite a while. Amanda approves.
- The Sabres are playing a pretty stifling defensive system tonight.
- You know, if Tyler Myers was bearing down on me with a head of steam, I’m moving out of his way.
- Vanek makes a nice play to keep the puck in on the power play.
- Miller is in the zone tonight. Amanda approves of this too.
- Brad Boyes has had a strong game away from the puck tonight.
- Gerbe, Gerbe, Gerbe… look at ‘im go!
- I don’t think Vanek has a complaint about the goaltender interference call. He ran Price over.
- The power play looks brutal. Oy.
- Carey Price needs to say a prayer to the hockey gods that the puck didn’t go in when it dribbled right through the crease.
Final score: Nathan Gerbe 2, Canadiens 0
Sabres vs. Thrashers 3/19/11 Postmortem March 19, 2011Posted by calvin in Uncategorized.
Tags: Brad Boyes, Chris Butler, Cody McCormick, Jason Pominville, Jordan Leopold, Marc Mancari, Nathan Gerbe, Opinions, penalties, Pommerdoodle, Postmortems, Rob Niedermayer, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Tim Connolly, Tyler Ennis
Twelve games remaining and we’re tied with Carolina. Now you’re up to date. On to the show:
- The Sabres start VERY quickly and Pominville pots one about a minute into the game after a beauty of a pass by Connolly.
- So far the Sabres are all over the Thrashers. Let’s hope that continues.
- Miller stopped the penalty shot after the Sabres take what I thought was a weak hooking call.
- Mancari redirects a Myers point shot for his first goal this year. Enthusiastic celebration!
- Pominville is having a HUGE period. Amanda approves.
- A beautiful spin-o-rama by Gerbe.
- Chris Butler gets his first of the year. Yep, “The butler did it!”. NOTE: they changed the goal to Niedermayer, so the butler is innocent. And scoreless.
- Was finally paying attention enough to hear the goal song after Butler’s goal. I like it. I like it a lot!
- After one period, the Sabres have a 15-6 edge in faceoffs. Brad Boyes and Paul Gaustad are both at 100% and no regular center is below 60%.
- Pominville takes a hit AND keeps the puck. Hee hee hee.
- Miller makes a great save to keep the Sabres in the lead. Yay!
- I totally remember Rob Ray scoring that goal in the 98-99 playoffs. And little Stuey guy – awww!
- Gerbe refuses to be denied. On the fifth try he puts it in.
- Ennis gets a pretty clear breakaway. That goal’s gonna be on Sportscenter.
- If Vanek keeps shooting one will go in. Keep the faith, Van.
- Nice play to break up a good offensive chance, Butler.
- Excellent job on the PSA, Cody McCormick.
- Wow! Boyes just moved quick like a bunny! It’s 6-2 Buffalo. I hope they save some goals for tomorrow when I’ll be at the game.
- Niedermayer gets his second of the night. What is going ON?
- ANNNNDDDD Connolly scores as I was typing the above. Alrighty then.
- Whoa. I didn’t even see what happened, but it’s tied.
- Ennis is cut and blood drips out of somewhere. Blech.
- Connolly hits the pipe as the 5-on-3 ends.
- Vanek is stopped on a breakaway. The d-man was whacking him on the wrists. But apparently THAT’S not a penalty. Good to know.
- I’m okay with using the goal horn, but is 15-20 seconds of it really necessary?
- Pretty disorganized power play here at the end of the first period.
- I do not approve of the bad angle goals, Ryan Miller.
- Hey guys – how about you DON’T let Byfuglien just walk on into your d-zone without anyone so much as sneezing on him?
- Vanek’s getting pretty frustrated. He takes bad penalties when he does that.
- If Thorburn hurts my Pommerdoodle I’m going to be very upset!
Congrats to Ryan Miller on six straight seasons with 30 wins or more. Final score: Sabres 8 Thrashers 2
I’ll be at the game tomorrow night. See you then!